Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Moving Forward


Part of de-cluttering your life is letting go. And I'm not just talking about the physical things, but the mental and emotional ones as well. Is there a time in your life that your mind reverts back to often because you enjoyed that period of time or the opposite, because something traumatic happened? Or maybe there's a person you think of often that no longer is in your life that you wish was, or you can't stop thinking about a person that deeply hurt you in some way.

I know for myself, my mind always goes back to the same thoughts over and over again about critical points in my life where I made certain decisions and I think, "what if I made this decision instead?" On the one side I like thinking it over in my mind because it gives me some kind of control over it. I can change the outcome over and over again, but reality is, I really can't. But then on the other hand, feeling your mind with the past keeps you stuck there. Although it is hard to let go, I am going to begin starting today. I am sure we all have something that we find preoccupies our minds whether it be good or bad but it is from the past and it may be holding us back for new oppertunities that may come in the future.

Forgiveness plays a big role in letting go of things in our lives. We need to learn to love, forgive, accept, and enjoy the life that we have today. What I believe to be the way of doing so is to observe, learn, and evolve.

1. Observe. Remember that our thoughts turn into our actions. Identify what it is exactly that is holding you back. What is it that your mind goes back to that you possibly have no control over that has happened in the past? Maybe a relationship you no longer have with a friend. Maybe you had no friends growing up and you think about that often. Or maybe someone in your family hurt your feelings and whenever you think about that person all you can think of is what they did or said.

2. Learn. Really think what it is that you can learn from what has happened. Maybe you were in a serious relationship with someone and it ended and now you haven't dated someone since. What can you learn from it? Maybe it's that there are people out there that you can connect with on a deep level and you'll be able to find someone again. Or think of all the people who have never had the euphoric experience of being in love. Maybe someone told you something about you that came off really mean, but maybe what they said they were actually dead on about you!

3. Evolve. We need to take what we have learned from the past to our advantage. Now, today, you can decide what it is you want your life to be filled with, including our thoughts. We have the choice if something is going to weigh us down.

When your mind reverts back, don't give it control, remind yourself what it is you learned from that experience and then leave it at that.

"The past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead and remember that faith is always pointed towards the future."
-Jeffrey R. Holland

By the way, since I have begun this making over my life transformation, I have already had new doors of oppurtunities come my way, just by the small amount of space I have cleared so far. (mental and physical).

Don't forget to subscribe by e-mail or with your blogger account if you haven't yet already and have a great day!

Photo from: http://holykaw.alltop.com/does-daydreaming-make-you-smarter

No comments:

Post a Comment