Many of our cleaners contain petrochemicals components that are harmful to people, animals, and the environment. Not to mention that the production of these products requires a massive amount of energy. Living a simple life, means doing what is right for our bodies, homes, and the environment. It means using basic products that are not harmful. This means ditching the bleach. Why? Chlorine bleach is poisonous gas. If cleaner can irritate the skin, eyes, and lungs just by it being in the air, stay away from it! Here are the top 8 best things to be using that are effective cleaners and not harmful:
- White vinegar-can be used as window cleaner, drain cleaner, bathroom cleaner, the list goes on. Not to mention you can drink it, in other words, it's very safe.
- Baking soda-eliminates odors and is good to use as scrubbing powder, an alternative to Comet cleaner.
- Borax-removes dirt, is antifungal
- Hydrogen peroxide-nontoxic bleach, antibacterial agent, and stain remover.
- Lemon juice-cuts grease and a good stain remover as well.
- Liquid castile soap-all-purpose cleaner, grease cutter, and disinfectant. Castile soap is vegetable based soap, not animal fat-based. Can be used as shampoo too!
- Olive oil-can be used as furniture and wood cutting-board polish.
- Essential oils of lavender, geranium, and tea tree oil-antibacterial and adds a nice smell. Tea tree oil is a natural solvent, cuts grease, and excellent at killing germs and bacteria.
So instead of using toxic, costly cleaners, (costly on your wallet and the environment), try this all-purpose cleaner. You will need:
16-ounce spray bottle
1 cup water
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp pure castile soap (I used lavender but peppermint is really nice too)
little less than 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
10 drops tea tree oil
10 drops lavender or lemon oil
Mix all the ingredients in the bottle and you're ready to go! Can be used for acrylic, ceramic tile, wood, marble, and granite. It's my main cleaner.