Monday, July 22, 2013

My Attempt at Reducing Waste



Remember this post about the family who practically has no trash going to the landfill? Well they inspired me to do better at not throwing everything in my trash cans, but instead to recycle and compost everything that I could. I couldn't believe how much waste I was throwing away without thinking twice about it! I went from about 10 small trash bags, probably the equivalent of 2 1/2 large trash bags, to only 2 small trash bags!



 My composting bucket.

 First half of the week's trash.

Second half of the week's trash.

There were a few times after throwing something in the trash can, by habit, that I would later take it out and put it either in my composting bucket or my recycling bucket. By the end of the week though, it wasn't difficult to remember where to put my kitchen scraps, or a milk carton. I even washed out a cardboard ice cream container to recycle! Overall I feel much better about the amount of waste going to the dump. I still have a long ways to go before I'm like the Johnson family. But I have to start somewhere. I strongly encourage all of you to try and recycle or compost. Visit Earth911 to find out what & where you can recycle in your area. Start making a pile of compost in your backyard, or if you're in an apartment like me, find someone with a yard and ask if the two of you could start composting your kitchen scraps. Tell them it'll give their yard more nutritious soil for their plants. Start today! A little can make a difference.


Trash can by Casa: http://www.casa.com/p/interdesign-pail-waste-can-232572

No comments:

Post a Comment