Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY: Lotion for Sensitive Skin


Do you think that your beauty products are safe because it has the word 'pure' or 'natural' on it? Think again! Many of our products have toxic chemicals in them that pollute our environment and are absorbed into our skin. When I say toxic, I mean things that are linked to cancer! And since only about 10-15% of cancer is genetic, the rest being environmental reasons, it's so so SO important that we are careful what we are putting on our bodies. Our skin is our biggest organ and absorbs everything we put on it, I learned this out when I was putting progesterone cream on my skin to help balance my hormones. I have a hard time trusting products so for the most part, I just choose to make my own.

If you don't believe me, check out this website: Skin Deep
And please take a few moments to watch this YouTube video: The Story of Cosmetics


So if you are looking for a great alternative to lotion, and if you're like me, with dry skin living where there isn't much humidity, try this recipe that I have found from the book: My Home Pharmacy: How Foods and Herbs Can Be Your Medicine

Ingredients:
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon emulsifying wax or beeswax
1/8 teaspoon lecithin (I don't put this in because I don't have it, but it helps with emulsifying too)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup aloe vera gel (don't just buy what ever is on the shelf because it's not pure aloe vera gel)
a few drops of an essential oil (I use lavender)

Directions:
Blend the coconut oil, olive oil, wax and lecithin in a double boiler, heating just enough to melt and mix the ingredients. Add 1/2 cup boiling water and stir thorougly. When the mixture cools to room temperature, add 1/2 cup aloe vera gel. Mix well by hand or with a hand blender, then add the essential oils.

Don't stress about the cost of ingredients, this lotion lasts a good while, plus nothing in here is toxic and won't make you ill over time.

(Click on this picture so you can actually read everything on it!)

If you are looking for something more convenient, or are looking for some of these ingredients and don't have a natural foods store near you, check out: Vita Cost it's a discount online store for natural products.

Enjoy!


Pictures by: Mind Body Green & Toxic Beauty


No comments:

Post a Comment